Archived Stories

Hagerstown Falls in Overtime to #13 Howard C.C.

Columbia, Md.- The Hagerstown Community College men's soccer team rallied from a two goal deficit only to see their comeback fall short in overtime.

Howard jumped out to an early lead and put the Hawks on their heels just five minutes into the game when a Dragon player attacked down the right side and crossed the ball into a wide open teammate in the goalbox. After collecting the pass, the Dragon player was able to tap it into the net past sophomore goalkeeper Cristian Mejia (Germantown, Md./Quince Orchard).  Just two minutes later the Hawks would respond, but a pass from freshman Jermaine Hardy, Jr. (Gaithersburg, Md./Magruder) to classmate Alejandro C. Oliart (Germantown, Md./Northwest) would force the Howard goalkeeper to make a great save.

Hagerstown would get a great opportunity again in the 35th minute, but Hardy's shot from 20 yards out would just go over the crossbar. The teams would head into the half with Howard up 1-0.

The Dragons would go up 2-0 in the 60th minute after a Howard player collided with Mejia on a 50/50 challenge in the air. Mejia would be knocked to the ground and no call would be given for the apparent foul. The ball would be knocked down to a wide open Dragon player who would place the ball in the far corner of the goal.

After the second goal, Hagerstown would take control of the game and chip away at the Howard lead. In the 75th minute, the Hawks would play a short corner and freshman Thomas Alvarez (Germantown, Md./Clarksburg) would drive the ball into the box where he found classmate Logan Speak (Clear Spring, Md./Clear Spring). Speak would attack the ball and head it into the goal. Just two minutes later Hagerstown equalized the game when Oliart netted his 10th goal of the season. After a foul 25 yards out from the Dragon goal, Oliart would see his free kick shot end up in the goal.

The Hawks would finish out the final 13 minutes out shooting the Dragons 4-1 but neither team would net the winner. In overtime, Howard appeared to take control and forced Mejia to make two crucial diving saves to keep the Hawks in the match. In the 96th minute, the Dragons would net the golden goal after slotting the ball to the far post past Mejia, who finished the game with seven saves.

The Hawks return to action Sunday, September 27 at 1:00pm when they square off against Stevenson University J.V.