Archived Stories

Hawks Squander Lead Late in the game, Fall to Harford

Bel Air, Md.- While the Hawks had a 2-1 lead and twelve minutes remaining in the match, the Fighting Owls came back to put three goals on the board, to defeat Hagerstown, 4-2. 

HCC started the match with a fury and had back-to-back chances in the 10th and 11th minutes. Freshman Alejandro C. Oliart (Germantown, Md./Northwest) found himself on a breakaway, but his shot would be saved by the Fighting Owls goalkeeper. Just a minute later, classmate Ernesto Mejia (Damascus, Md./Damascus) riffled a shot that would be saved and then the ball would bounce off the crossbar for a corner kick.

Harford would respond in the 25th minute when they would chip sophomore goalkeeper Cristian Mejia (Germantown, Md./Quince Orchard) but the ball would hit the far post before being cleared off the line by a Hawk defender. Just two minutes they would be rewarded with a penalty kick, but the shot would again hit the crossbar and the score would remain tied. The Fighting Owls would crack the scoreboard first when a Harford player would beat the HCC backline and slot the ball far post past Mejia. 

Hagerstown would even the score with five minutes remaining in the half when freshman Diego Claros (Germantown, Md./Quince Orchard) would hit a long ball that found teammate Eric Madrid (Germantown, Md./Northwest). Madrid would calmly collect the pass and then race one on one with the goalkeeper before placing it past the Fighting Owls net minder.

Just four minutes after the intermission, a Harford player would receive a second yellow card on the evening, resulting in a red card and being forced to play a man down. With the man advantage, Hagerstown would break the tie in the 70th minute when freshman Geordy Nyam (Gaithersburg, Md./Watkins Mill) picked out Oliart at the back post for a one touch tap in. It would appear the Hawks would take control of the game in the 76th minute when they were awarded a penalty kick, but the spot shot would be saved by the diving Harford keeper.

Harford would rally and net three goals in the final 12 minutes of play to defeat Hagerstown, 4-2. With the loss, HCC falls to 3-3-0 overall and 1-1-0 in the MDJUCO. The Hawks return to action on Friday when the square off against Catonsville at 4:00pm.