Archived Stories

Hawks Lose Heartbreaker to Defending Champion Suffolk

Keyser, W.Va.- The Hagerstown Community College men’s soccer team saw their comeback fall just short, as they are defeated by #2 Suffolk County, 2-1.

Suffolk County, the reigning Division III, NJCAA National Champions came into the contest ranked #2 in the nation, while the Hawks were riding a two-game win streak, outscoring their opponents 21-2. The New York based, SCC, would get the first chance of the match in the 12th minute when they picked off an errant pass from an HCC defender, but the shot would be saved by sophomore goalkeeper, Christian Mejia (Germantown, Md./Quince Orchard). The Sharks would get on the scoreboard first in the 17th minute when a quick restart caught the Hawks off guard. After a foul 25 yards out from the Hagerstown goal, Suffolk would put the ball down quick and lay it off to a midfielder who riffled a perfectly placed shot into the upper corner of the goal. Mejia would extend his arms on the dive, but the ball would narrowly miss his fingertips.

Hagerstown found themselves down a second goal in the 27th minute when the Sharks attacked a header in the box off a corner kick. The two teams would go into the half with the score line in favor of SCC.

The Hagerstown men would come out of the half and take control of the match, earning quality chances from freshman Alejandro C. Oliart (Germantown, Md./Northwest) and Geordy Nyam (Gaithersburg, Md./Watkins Mill). Both opportunities would be saved by the Suffolk keeper to keep the Hawks at bay. In the 65th minute, the Sharks would get back-to-back breakaways, but Mejia would come up big for the Hawks to keep them in the match.

In the 69th minute, Hagerstown was awarded a corner kick that found the foot of freshman Nate Redmond (Smithsburg, Md./Smithsburg). Redmond would strike the right-footed volley perfectly and the ball would find the back of the net. Hagerstown continued to pressure the Sharks, coming close to equalizing the game multiple times. With physical play happening on both sides of the ball, Hagerstown would be issued two red cards and the game would be halted at the 84th minute mark.

Mejia finished the match with 14 saves, while HCC fell to 2-2-0 overall on the season. The Hawks return to action tomorrow when they face West Virginia University Club in the second match of the Potomac State Tournament.